Interesting Features That Make It Special & Unique
Anyone can recognize the Zebra with its pretty black and white patterned coat, but did you know that this African wild horse has so many more interesting features that make them special and unique? Here are just a few:
- The zebra is native to Africa and is very closely related to horses and donkeys
- Each individual has its own unique striped pattern – this means that no two zebras in the world are ever the same!
- Underneath its pretty black and white coat, it’s skin is black
- Did you know that the zebra’s pattern also acts as an insect repellent and a natural sunscreen?
- To confuse colourblind predators, the zebra will run in a zig-zag pattern or group together so that their patterns look like grass
- There are multiple different species of zebras, and each species has a different general pattern of stripes
- The National Geographic says the zebra’s pattern works like camouflage, especially for a group of zebras standing together
- Although zebras live in Africa, different species live in different areas. For example, plains zebras live in treeless grasslands in East and South Africa, Grevy’s zebras live in grasslands in parts of Ethiopia and Kenya, while the mountain zebra can be found in South Africa, Namibia, and Angola.
- It’s believed that a zebra is one of the few mammals that, except for the colour orange, can see in colour
- A zebra can run up to 65 km per hour and can grow up to 3.5 to 5 feet tall
- Zebras sleep standing up!
- A zebra can rotate its ears to almost any direction!
- A group of zebras is called a ‘zeal’ and A family group of zebras is known as a harem, which is lead by a stallion (male zebra).
Meet Them at Bali Safari Park
Want to get up close to a real living and breathing zebra? Well you don’t need to travel to Africa!
Simply visit the Bali Safari Park in Gianyar and try this safari package to see these beautiful African wild horses and other wild animals from around the world, roam freely in their natural habitats. Or check this link if you would like to do a safari at night!
Bali Safari Park is a conservation focused park that is home to over 100 endangered and rare animal species from all over the world.